Are you considering buying in a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association (HOA)? The Aggieland, REALTORS team has created a video with some important questions to ask before you make the decision. Watch the video to find out what and how to ask about dues, rules, amenities, and more!
Homeowners associations are intended to help protect property values and maintain a pleasant living environment. To accomplish these goals, they impose certain rules on residents. Here are four questions to ask before buying property in an HOA.
- Can you afford it?
- HOAs get funding from membership dues paid monthly, yearly, or annually.
- Know the cost of dues and when they are paid so that you can plan that appropriately in your budget.
- Note the rules and processes regarding changing the dues.
- What are the rules?
- All members of an association must adhere to a set of rules known as the covenants, conditions, and restrictions (CC&Rs).
- The rules regulate many things, such as lawn maintenance, architectural design, and where vehicles can be parked.
- You should review a copy of these documents so that you do not have any unpleasant surprises after closing.
- Which amenities are included?
- HOA dues are often used, in part, to maintain common areas and amenities.
- This could include things such as swimming pools or walking trails.
- These features may be selling points for you, or you may not expect to take advantage of them.
- Understand that you will be paying for them regardless of whether or not you use them, but they could also add to the property’s future resale value.
- Do you want to get involved?
- Many homeowners associations welcome new volunteers for committees or their boards of directors.
- These can be great ways to meet your neighbors and keep on top of issues affecting your neighborhood.
Information and guide from texasrealestate.com.